The ECOWAS region has experienced endemic animal diseases, as well as emerging and re-emerging zoonotic disease challenges that have resulted in high morbidity and mortality. It is estimated that over 60% of emerging diseases affecting humans are caused by pathogens of animal origin, and these disease events have resulted in social disruptions and negative economic impact.
In recognition of the need to ensure animal health in the region, the ECOWAS Authority of the Heads of State established the Regional Animal Health Center (RAHC) with the Supplementary Act A/SA.20/02/12. In line with the Council adoption of the organogram for the Regional Animal Health Center (RAHC), the ECOWAS Commission intends to further strengthen the human resources capacity at the RAHC to support the implementation of the ECOWAP/CAADP through the improvement of animal health in the region with the support of the Swiss Cooperation under the PACBAO program.
The ECOWAS Commission through the Regional Agency for Agriculture Food (RAAF) seeks qualified and experienced candidates for recruitment a Program Officer - Accountant for the Regional Animal Health Center (RAHC) based in Bamako, Mali under the PACBAO program.
The Accountant will ensure the implementation of financial activities of the RAHC to support the delivery of the ECOWAP/CAADP to improve food security and nutrition, livelihoods, wealth creation and poverty reduction through the efficient management of animal health in the ECOWAS region. The successful candidate will work under the supervision of the Executive Director of the RAHC
Propose and elaborate the RAHC Annual budget in collaboration technical experts for submission to the RAHC Executive Director, and ensure maintenance of accounts and financial monitoring of its implementation.
Ensure control of financial and accounting records, management of cash flow including the formulation of accurate forecasts related to RAHC budget and other projects, good financial governance and performance of financial and materials implemented at the RAHC in accordance with approved accounting and financial standards, guidelines and regulations.
Oversee the timely registration of transactions in the accounting management system and the presentation of monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual financial reports.
Execute payment vouchers issued to pay the bills, statements and other commitments of RAHC.
Prepare and submit to the RAHC Executive Director purchase orders, order letters and service contracts with third party institutions and partners.
Ensure the proper application of ECOWAS labor legislation and salary scale in force.
Carry out a comparative assessment of the RAHC budget and other projects at RAHC with the average of costs and indicate variance analysis on time for timely presentation of administrative and financial reports to management and other stakeholders and partners.
Implement the ECOWAS budget control procedures and ensure that approved budget expenditures are in line with ECOWAS laid down procedures and processes.
Ensure the preparation of consultation and audit missions commissioned by the Executive Director or the Commissioner AEWR as well as bank accounts reconciliation of RAHC and projects.
Ensure the preservation of all financial supporting documents for audit reviews and participate in the mobilization of financial resources.
Ensure the preparation and submission of all financial reports to the Executive Director in a timely manner.
Perform any other official duty assigned by the Executive Director of the RAHC or his/her representative.
Qualifications / Experiences
- Possess a postgraduate degree in Economics, Finance & Accounting, Business Administration or equivalent.
- Professional qualification in Accounting such as CA, will be an asset.
- At least eight (8) years experience in administration, finance, economics, or business administration with ascendant in accounting and at least 3 years in an regional or international organization. A good knowledge of the SYSCOA, SAP is strongly recommended.
- Proven knowledge in project/program implementation.
- Possess a proven knowledge of computerized accounting systems, Excel, Power Point, Budgeting and strategic Financial planning.
- Be able to work independently with minimum supervision and possess a high degree of integrity and sense of responsibility
- Possess the ability to develop reports and present ECOWAS position in a sensitive manner
- Possess a good knowledge of logical framework methodology, result-based management and project-cycle methodology is essential.
- A proven experience in the design and implementation of financial and accounting systems at the institutional level.
- A good knowledge of the context and challenges of Agricultural development (ECOWAP/CAADP, MDGs, SDGs), and ECOWAS priorities is necessary.
- Candidate should not be more than 50 years old at the point of recruitment and must be a citizen of an ECOWAS Member State.
- Must be fluent in one of the official languages of the ECOWAS: English, French and Portuguese. A working knowledge of another is an advantage
Professionalism – Proven expertise in finance and administration, accounting, economics or equivalent discipline.
Planning and organization – Proven ability in work planning and organization; ability to make timely decisions and follow through on implementation
Communication – Proven oral, written and presentation skills, including the ability to present information clearly and succinctly.
Teamwork – Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural and diverse organization; the ability to build consensus among individuals with diverging views.
Judgment/Decision-making – Must have a good sense of judgment and initiative, imagination and ingenuity, energy and discernment, ability to provide effective work structure to maximize productivity and achieve the institution’s objectives. Must have sound computer skills including word processing, spread sheet applications and the use of the Internet.
Linguistic Requirements - Proficiency in two working languages of ECOWAS. Knowledge of the third working language would be an additional asset.
Other skills - Have strong computer skills including word processing, spreadsheets and use of New Information and Communication Technologies (NICT).
Location and duration and start of the mission
The consultant will be based in Bamako (Mali), at the headquarters of the Regional Animal Health Center (RAHC). The duration of the mission is three (03) months according to availability of funds and after evaluation. The assignment will start within two weeks after contract notification.
The application package is made up of:
- A letter of expression of interest, including the period of availability;
- A recent curriculum vitae detailing the work experience and similar assignment;
- Three professional references (names and forenames, current functions, functions at the time of collaboration with the Consultant, email and telephone contacts);
- Certified copy of the highest degree;
- Certificate of employment or assignment completion mentioned in the CV.
Submission of applications
Interested candidates should send their applications to the following address, not later than ………………………….………. by 12 h noon:
Regional Agency for Agriculture and Food (RAAF)
83, Rue de la Pâture, Lomé Togo (sealed envelope « Accountant for the Regional Animal Health Center (RAHC) based in Bamako, Mali»)
With object: «Accountant for the Regional Animal Health Center (RAHC) based in Bamako, Mali»
A Consultant will be selected according to the qualification-based selection method as defined in the ECOWAS procurement Code. An interview session may be organized with a short List of consultants.